As the use of CBD oils has become more popular in the treatment of chronic pain in humans, many pet parents have decided to incorporate CBD-based treats into the regular diets of their companions. Indeed, the use of hemp-extracted CBD treatments can be used to reduce general anxiety, stiffness, pain, and irritability in pets, as well as encourage overall health and immunity.
Within the growing market for CBD oils, tinctures, balms, and other products, the canine market has dominated, with over 68% of total CBD sales in 2020 being for use in dogs as reported by Grand View Research. While the official benefits of using CBD oil for a dog’s health are still largely untested, anecdotal evidence is resounding. From the same Grand View Research study, it was reported that nearly one-quarter of pet owners within the United States attest to using hemp-based CBD oil products for either themselves or their dog and cat companions, a statistic too high to discount.
For those dog parents curious about the potential benefits of CBD oils for their dog’s health, we have compiled a list of the seven best CBD dog treats available to the public. Let this act as a starting point for your own research and see whether or not CBD dog treats are right for your pup.
Best CBD Dog Treats
- CBDfx – Editor’s Choice
- HolistaPet – Guaranteed THC-Free
- CBDistillery – Best Value
- Penelope’s Bloom – Most Natural
- Receptra Naturals – Generalized Treatment
- FOMO Bones – Most Certified
- Extract Labs – Gluten-Free
Reviews of the Best CBD Dog Treats
1. CBDfx – Editor’s Choice: Best CBD Dog Treats
CBDfx has a very long history of producing high-quality CBD products for both humans and pets. CBDfx offers a wide array of products, including CBD tinctures, CBD topical balms, and CBD ingestible pet treats.
If necessary, these treats can easily be broken in half to provide your four-legged friend with a smaller dose. A company well-known in the CBD industry, CBDfx stands by the efficacy of its products by offering a 60-day money-back guarantee.
What Makes it Stand Out?
CBDfx’s formulas are both vegan and cruelty-free, a plus for many discerning animal lovers. All CBD oils used within CBDfx’s CBD dog treats are also human-grade consumable, which means you aren’t compromising on quality for your furry friend. The treats are also soy-free and organic.
Most Recommended For
Two separate formulas for CBD-infused treats for dogs are available within the CBDfx product line: Stress & Anxiety and Joint & Mobility. These formulas work with your dog’s endocannabinoid system in order to calm nerves, anxiety, hyperactivity, and separation anxiety. These treats can also improve mobility and comfort for pets with hip dysplasia, arthritis, and joint issues, among other diagnoses.
CBDfx also uses ingredients such as parsley, spinach, blueberry, and turmeric, all of which offer anti-inflammatory properties and important antioxidants for your pet’s overall health.
Clean, verifiable ingredients and FDA-approved processes are the main selling point for the CBDfx line of CBD dog treats and oils. While their dog CBD treats are slightly more expensive than others on this list, their high-quality ingredients mean that pet parents are paying for only the best treats to calm anxiety and quell joint pain—and customers are more than pleased with the improvement they see in their fur babies.
- High-quality, human-grade ingredients that are organic, vegan, and cruelty-free
- Available in sizes for all breeds, ranging from under 20 lbs. to over 100 lbs.
- Options for both ingestible solid treats and oil-based tinctures, as well as topical balms
- Product-tested in a verifiable and publicly available third-party laboratory
- Not for use on juvenile dogs
2. HolistaPet – Guaranteed THC-Free
Based out of California, HolistaPet offers a wide range of CBD pet products, including CBD oil, CBD treats, CBD tinctures, and CBD sprays for dogs, cats, and even horses. This established CBD brand earns a 4.5 out of five stars, with 86% of customers rating their experience as “excellent”.
What Makes it Stand Out?
The CBD treats made for dogs by HolistaPet include only the simplest organic ingredients, such as chamomile, turmeric, hemp seed powder, peanut butter, and sweet potato to enhance the wellness benefits of CBD. Each delicious CBD dog treat contains real food ingredients that are lab-tested, and the lab results are easily accessible on the company’s website with only a simple click.
Most Recommended For
HolistaPet offers three lines of CBD-infused treats: Mobility, Calming, and Wellness.
Their Mobility broad-spectrum CBD oil-infused treats can be used for a wide array of potential ailments, including easing pain from arthritis, joint injuries or inflammation, hip dysplasia, common injuries, and other widespread pain of many kinds.
The chamomile within HolistaPet’s Calming line of CBD dog treats works to lower anxiety, as well as calm nervous stomachs. Dogs love the peanut butter flavor of the treats, too!
Along with HolistaPet’s premium broad-spectrum CBD oil, the Wellness CBD dog treats feature blueberry and sweet potato for an irresistible taste, as well as hemp seed powder and flax seeds. These superfoods can boost overall immunity and strengthen the heart and cardiovascular systems of your beloved pets.
The product line of CBD treats is simple with only three varieties. Simplicity, however, is the name of the game when it comes to supporting the well-being of your four-legged family members. Over 3,600 customers agree that HolistaPet offers CBD treats that both dogs and dog owners will love thanks to the pleasant smell and overall effectiveness.
- Treats a wide variety of potential diagnoses, both physical and cognitive
- A combined 25+ years of experience from real dog parents and animal lovers
- Subscription packages offer easy ways for repeat customers to maintain their supply
- Only one flavor available per product line
3. CBDistillery – Best Value
Founded in 2016, this Colorado-based CBD brand is one of the fastest-growing in the industry. Since its inception, the company has expanded its product line which now includes CBD isolate, broad-spectrum CBD, and full-spectrum CBD. Certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority, CBDistillery offers an assortment of CBD pet products for cats and dogs and receives glowing reviews from its customer base.
What Makes it Stand Out?
The super quality of the hemp used in their CBD products plays a major role in why CBDistillery is one of the premier brands in the CBD industry. The hemp plants are naturally farmed and non-GMO, an important factor to many pet owners who wish to steer clear of potentially harmful pesticides and chemicals. In addition to having some of the best CBD dog treats on the market, CBDistillery also offers resilient and easy-to-use glass droppers of CBD oil. CBD oil can easily be added to a dog’s food for added control over CBD dosage.
Most Recommended For
CBDistillery offers CBD treats for both cognition and mobility. Their broad-spectrum CBD Cognition Bites are calming soft chews designed to calm anxiety and unwanted nervous behaviors, as well as to support overall cognitive health. Interestingly, these treats contain Lion’s Mane mushrooms and Ashwagandha, both well-known ingredients in human-grade supplements and calming tinctures.
Mobility-focused CBD treats for dogs contain broad-spectrum CBD oil and several other active ingredients, including active glucosamine, methylsulfonylmethane, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid. These ingredients may aid in the improvement of hip and joint mobility, as well as decrease pain and stiffness from numerous types of muscle-based injury.
CBDistillery’s main seller is their broad-spectrum CBD oil tincture for pets as opposed to their CBD soft chews (though owners of older dogs can’t say enough about the easy nature of these bites for weaker jaws). There are few additives within the product lines, with a focus on pure, natural hemp being the primary goal of CBDistillery fans. Customers specifically mention the effectiveness and price of these CBD pet products as major selling points.
- U.S. Hemp Authority certified
- Products sourced from naturally-farmed non-GMO industrial hemp
- Tested and verified by third-party laboratories
- America’s #1 value brand for CBD pet treats and oils
- High demand for products, leading to them selling out at times
4. Penelope’s Bloom – Most Natural
An effective and reliable CBD brand, Penelope’s Bloom was created to help pet parents access clean, quality, and affordable CBD products for their beloved four-legged friends. The company is fully committed to quality, transparency, and efficacy, which are among the reasons consumers love this brand.
What Makes it Stand Out?
Penelope’s Bloom provides an organic, non-GMO, and pesticide-free line of CBD dog treats in order to protect your pet from harmful chemical pesticides. Each CBD oil-infused treat also contains antioxidant-rich ingredients, such as blueberries and spinach, along with natural plant extracts. While tasty biscuit treats are the main focus of the brand, products also include dog CBD oil tinctures and balm products, alongside creatively infused CBD peanut butter.
Most Recommended For
Like many brands, Penelope’s Bloom offers multiple CBD formulas designed to target specific areas of concern within your pet’s health. Penelope’s Bloom offers three main chewable treats: Joint + Mobility, Stress + Anxiety, and Heart + Immunity.
For older dogs, or those with muscle and joint pain, Joint + Mobility CBD dog treats offer the benefits of all-natural full-spectrum CBD alongside healthy active ingredients, such as turmeric root and chondroitin, a naturally-occurring component within cartilage. Including these ingredients in the treats helps to ease inflammation and may even help strengthen weak joints as preventative care.
Anxious dogs may benefit from Penelope’s Bloom Stress + Anxiety line of products. These biscuits are formulated using full-spectrum CBD oil and chamomile, passionflower, and valerian root extracts to act as calming agents. L- theanine, a non-protein amino acid, is also included to promote relaxation.
Penelope’s Bloom’s Heart + Immunity CBD dog treats target sensitive skin conditions and allergies by blocking allergy receptors via the endocannabinoid system. Regardless of your pet’s potential allergies, these specially formulated treats with full-spectrum CBD oil can also promote a shiny and healthy coat, bright eyes, and softer skin.
The efficacy of Penelope’s Bloom’s line of CBD oil-infused dog treats is unquestioned by consumers. Many pet owners also praise the natural ingredients and competitive price point. Like any reputable brand, Penelope’s Blooms reports third-party laboratory results on all their CBD oil-infused treats for the interest of discerning pet parents.
- Supports the production of naturally occurring serotonin, L-theanine, chondroitin, and more
- Organic, non-GMO ingredients
- Competitive pricing and purchase bundle opportunities
- Clear, simple, and accurate dosing instructions
- Free shipping isn’t available until $65+ orders
5. Receptra Naturals – Generalized Treatment
Based in Colorado, Receptra Naturals is a popular CBD company that was founded in 2015 by Rusty Scott after he personally experienced the benefits of CBD following an injury. The company is committed to creating all-natural, high-quality, and potent CBD products that include topicals, oils, gummies, and pet treats.
What Makes it Stand Out?
Receptra Naturals hand plants and picks their crops and uses a cold ethanol extraction process. The company also conducts third-party lab testing to ensure all of its products exceed strict standards. A QR code is available on each product and the website that will take consumers straight to the third-party lab results. The CBD tincture from Receptra is high in fatty acids, which can improve cholesterol levels and benefit your dog’s overall health and well-being.
Most Recommended For
The CBD treats for dogs from Receptra Naturals are all-natural CBD supplements that promote calmness, mobility, and comfort. Additional ingredients like salmon oil also contribute to reductions in pain-based mobility issues, inflammation, and irritation, and can be part of an overall healthy diet. Receptra Naturals soft dog chews may also act to prevent nerve cell degeneration and can be used as a preventative treatment in younger dogs.
Receptra Naturals provides simple and straightforward products to assist owners in improving the quality of life of their beloved furry friends, especially when it comes to mobility, joint health, and pain. Customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and despite the use of high-quality, human-grade ingredients, these dog CBD treats maintain a generally competitive pricing point when compared with other brands of a similar nature.
- All-natural, human-grade ingredients
- CBD oil is available in two different potency levels
- Acts to prevent further nerve degeneration
- Offers generalized relief with one product
- Limited line of CBD dog treats
6. FOMO Bones – Most Certified
FOMO is a term that is often associated with “Fear of Missing Out,” and that’s exactly the aim behind FOMO Bones: to keep owners and pets from feeling left out when separated. Dogs large and small can benefit from relaxing, anxiety-reducing 5mg doses of natural CBD isolate.
What Makes it Stand Out?
FOMO Bones is highly certified, with backing from the Hemp Industries Association, National Animal Supplement Council, and other public organizations. FOMO Bones have been mentioned in The Los Angeles Times and Pet Food Industry. Alongside their specialty CBD soft chews, FOMO Bones also offers a CBD oil-based pet tincture.
Most Recommended For
FOMO Bones CBD dog treats are specifically formulated to reduce anxiety and nervousness in dogs, whether the symptoms stem from separation anxiety, loud noise, public spaces, travel, or another unrelated stimulus. However, dogs who are suffering from joint pain or discomfort can also benefit from these CBD dog chews. Along with pure CBD isolate, FOMO Bones soft chews contain extracts derived from passionflower, chamomile, and valerian root, all of which are popular calming ingredients for both human and animal consumption.
Most impressive for FOMO Bones is the long list of certifications and guarantees that is associated with their CBD soft chews. Rest assured that only the highest quality ingredients and most ethical practices are involved in crafting these relaxing CBD dog treats. Customers are pleased with their purchase of FOMO Bones and many report that the treats have been life-changing for their anxious pets. At a little over one dollar per treat, these chews are also largely cost-effective.
- Utilizes natural sleep aids for a calming effect
- Highly certified for the production of dietary supplements and human-grade food products
- Transparent sourcing of CBD ingredients from KND Labs
- Only one type of CBD treat for dogs is available, along with one CBD oil pet tincture
7. Extract Labs – Gluten Free
Founded by a combat veteran who was interested in pursuing the benefits of CBD, Extract Labs began in a garage and has grown into a popular CBD brand with a focus on helping people and pets to overcome hardship with the power of quality CBD products. The company donates 10% of all proceeds from Fetch CBD dog products to fund CBD canine research.
What Makes it Stand Out?
Extract Labs’ Fetch CBD treats made for dogs are full-spectrum CBD oil-infused bites formulated specifically for pets with dietary restrictions or sensitive gastrointestinal tracts. These best CBD dog treats contain only five ingredients, which minimizes the risk of potential allergic reactions or irritation. Extract Labs also provides readily available results from third-party lab testing for dog owners’ ultimate peace of mind. New customers can receive 15% off their entire first order by signing up for The Extract Echo, the brand’s newsletter.
Most Recommended For
These full-spectrum CBD dog treats specifically target irritability, reactivity, and anxiety in dogs of all ages. Even without additional supplements, most customers see a marked improvement in the disposition and behavior of their dog when dosed correctly. Happy dog parents also notice positive effects when Fetch chews are used to treat discomfort associated with immobility and old age.
Sensitive pets can benefit greatly from the simple, organic, gluten-free ingredients in each Fetch CBD dog treat. While these CBD oil-infused treats are designed to target reactivity-based behavior in pets, they are also shown to be effective in treating mild pain and discomfort as it applies to joint and mobility issues in older dogs.
- Gluten-free treats can reduce adverse reactions from sensitive stomachs
- Certified vegan, organic, and human-grade
- Rigorously tested for pesticides, herbicides, solvents, heavy metals, and microbials
- Manufactured in a cGMP facility
- Offers only one CBD dog treat suitable for canine consumption
- 10mg CBD per treat may be too much for smaller dogs
How We Selected Our Best CBD Treats for Dogs
Our team wants to ensure the best product for you and your pet, as well as provide you with information to form your own judgment as to which are the best CBD dog treats for your pup. We strive to be objective in our rankings and utilize several sources to ensure each product is represented fairly and accurately:
- We listen to our experts in the field, all of whom have invaluable knowledge on the types of products that are best suited to pets. Of course, your own vet’s recommendation will ensure the health and safety of your dog.
- Research into the claims of individual brands can reveal important information as to the purity, effectiveness, and value of various CBD oils and treats. We value certifications from trusted organizations such as the FDA and the U.S. Hemp Authority, among others.
- We don’t recommend a product until we carry out a thorough analysis of real consumer reviews. We take into consideration every review for a brand’s product, not just those from satisfied customers. We want to be confident that every stage—from shopping, purchasing, and shipping, right up to your in-home usage—brings a highly satisfactory experience.
Considerations When Choosing CBD Pet Treats
As with any decision related to the overall well-being of your pet, CBD treats should always be given alongside the consultation of your dog’s veterinarian. There are many benefits from the naturally occurring CBD included in treats, but the potential for adverse reactions is always a possibility. There are, however, several things you can do to protect your pet from low-quality or sketchy dog CBD treats.
- Read the Label. Look for limited ingredient lists and be mindful of any and all health warnings. All products come with some degree of risk, but be mindful of dosage limits, potential allergens, and other disclaimers.
- Look for Recognizable Ingredients. CBD treats that use food-grade ingredients have less potential to adversely affect your pet’s digestion. Sensitive stomachs do well to avoid processed or difficult-to-digest ingredients. Instead, look for whole foods and naturally occurring supplements that you’re familiar with. Also, it doesn’t hurt to look for yummy natural flavors that your pup will love like peanut butter or bacon.
- Seek Out Organic Ingredients. Avoid potentially harmful chemicals and pesticides whenever possible. If a brand claims to use organic ingredients, look for a certification from the USDA.
- Research a Product’s Purity. Pure hemp-extracted CBD contains little to no variation in quality, those variations of which have the potential to cause adverse effects in dogs. The more complicated the extraction process, the more room for error there is.
- Look for Third-Party Lab Analyses. Product testing for health and safety is integral to protecting your dog’s well-being and physical health when utilizing the benefits of CBD treats. Reputable brands should have the results of laboratory tests easily accessible so you can check the CBD levels and other ingredients yourself.
- Acknowledge Price Variations. Higher-quality productions typically come with a higher price tag. If a brand boasts an extreme reduction in prices, be cautious. Low prices typically mean lower-quality ingredients within the CBD treats themselves and come with increased risk for your valued pet.
- Know your Animal. As with any change in diet or routine, monitor your dog closely when supplementing with CBD oils, treats, or tinctures. Drastic changes in behavior or long-term effects should be immediately addressed with your primary veterinarian.
Benefits of CBD Dog Treats
Official research on the effects of CBD treatments for canine usage is limited for the time being, but the collective experiences of those who utilize CBD treats for dogs provide anecdotal evidence of the potential benefits of including pure CBD oil extracted from high-quality hemp plants in a dog’s healthy diet. Dog owners use CBD oils to treat numerous ailments, including:
- Anxiety and Stress: CBD is a natural soothing agent, which can relieve stress in dogs. Sufferers of separation anxiety, hyper-reactivity, and other anxiety-based behavioral issues can utilize the natural calming properties of CBD to aid in everyday interactions, as well as stress-inducing events such as vet visits or travel.
- Joint Mobility: CBD dog treats are often used as relievers of chronic or joint-based pain. While CBD dog treats cannot reverse the underlying causes of mobility issues, they can provide support for better joint health and promote a better quality of life for a senior dog who is struggling with pain management.
- Seizures: Some dog parents claim that CBD treatments can reduce the severity and frequency of epileptic seizures in some dogs. There is some evidence that naturally occurring CBD can help with seizures in humans. In fact, there is a CBD-based drug approved by the FDA to treat certain types of epilepsy (Epidiolex). That said, there are no definitive studies (yet) that prove CBD can be used as an alternative to your dog’s current anti-seizure medication.
- Inflammation: CBD has been shown to decrease both internal and external inflammation. This can soothe sensitive digestive tracts and aid in a more regular digestive schedule, as well as reduce swelling from injuries or chronic illness.
How Many CBD Treats Should I Give to my Dog?
Always follow the dosing instructions for any product. The exact CBD dosage for each pet depends most obviously on its weight. When purchasing any product, make sure to closely read the CBD potency and give only what is recommended.
If you are providing CBD crunchy treats or soft chews to your dog for the very first time, it is advised to begin with a lower dose than recommended and gradually increase the serving size until the desired effect is reached or until you reach the product’s suggested dosage.
There are several factors that can affect your dog’s reaction to CBD alongside its weight. Active dogs with fast metabolisms will likely process CBD faster than lethargic animals. There is no exact science in predicting the effect of CBD treats on any particular dog, so exercise caution and patience.
How Long Do CBD Dog Treats Take To Work?
The full potency of a dig CBD treat can vary depending on the brand, the type of supplement (tincture, balm, or chewable treat), as well as your dog’s own metabolism and health. Most brands note a reduction in anxious behavior anywhere between 30 minutes to 5 hours with correctly dosed oils.
CBD use for pain management takes longer to show marked improvement, but increased mobility and decreased discomfort are typically observed after four weeks of continued use.
Potential Side Effects of CBD Dog Treats
At its core, CBD reacts with the endocannabinoid system, which is present in all mammals, in order to produce its calming and pain-reducing effects. This does mean, however, that the ingestion of CBD dog treats can alter some aspects of your dog’s normal bodily processes. High doses, low-quality ingredients, allergies, and other factors can all contribute to potential side effects when introducing your dog to CBD.
- Lower Blood Pressure: High doses of CBD have been found to temporarily cause a drop in your dog’s blood pressure. This side effect can look similar to dizziness, but can typically be solved by lowering the dosage of your CBD product.
- Dry Mouth: Cannabinoids, including cannabidiol (CBD), are known to cause a dry mouth effect with human consumption. The same effect is also possible with animal consumption of CBD oils and treats and can lead to dental irritation, bad breath, and potential discomfort.
- Drowsiness: When used to treat anxiety, CBD is intended to have a calming effect by reacting with a dog’s endocannabinoid system. Doses that are too high, then, can quickly turn this relaxation into drowsiness. This side effect is easily remedied with smaller doses.
- Itchiness: Increased scratching is a fairly uncommon side effect when administering CBD supplements to your dog. This side effect is typically caused by high dosages, but potential allergies may necessitate reducing your dog’s consumption entirely.
- Upset Stomach: Sensitive stomachs can react to anything new or unfamiliar, and CBD is no exception. It is important to start with a low dose when introducing CBD-based treats to avoid potential discomfort or adverse gastrointestinal reactions. Pay attention to other ingredients as well. If your aging pal no longer reacts well to peanut butter, then don’t buy soft chews that contain peanut butter!
- Vomiting: The CBD compound itself may be enough to cause intestinal discomfort which is severe enough to induce vomiting. As with any digestive issue, however, make sure to check your product’s labeling to ensure there are no allergens or other potential irritants within your CBD treats.
- Diarrhea: Diarrhea can reflect an underlying irritation from CBD reactivity in your dog. If the introduction of CBD-based treats is found to be the cause of newfound gastrointestinal issues, reduce your dog’s dosage. Continued reactions may make it necessary to abstain completely from the use of CBD products in sensitive dogs.
Due to the various side effects that can occur with CBD use in dogs, it is advised to speak to a veterinarian before offering CBD dog treats. A veterinarian will ensure CBD is safe for your dog based on its individual health and can work with you to ensure you are providing your fluffy friend with the most appropriate dose. In addition, if your pet is currently taking any prescribed medications, your veterinarian can let you know whether it may impact the efficiency of those meds.
The best CBD dog treats and oils can be a great way to supplement your dog’s diet and provide a calming effect for reactive or anxious animals. By taking advantage of the canine endocannabinoid system, pets can reap benefits strikingly similar to those of human CBD usage. CBD dog treats provide you with the ability to positively improve your dog’s life by supporting joint health, improving mobility, calming anxiety, and boosting overall health and well-being.